Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Homemade

Lately I have become more and more obsessed with "homemade" items. Thanks to Pinterest I now have ideas that I never would have imagined I could do myself. I want to make homemade seasonings, detergent, shampoo, everything!

So far I have made homemade air freshener (baking soda and lavender essential oil), vanilla extract (vanilla beans and vodka, in cute little bottles I might add), taco seasoning (waaaaay less sodium than the packaged kind) and tonight I made homemade spaghetti sauce. While I could have gotten a jar of spaghetti sauce for $2, I spent $3 on tomato sauce, tomato paste and diced tomatoes to make my own sauce, just add spices. This made 2 batches, so while I paid more upfront, I will pay less overall. Woot!

I also picked up a few books today from my local library on self-sufficiency and homesteading. Ohhh how the nerd powers have activated!What is up next for me to make from scratch?

-Jet Dry (just use vinegar y'all)
-Dishwasher Detergent
-Spray Bleach Cleaner

These alone will save us a ton of money over the year and I do love saving money.Is there anything you make from scratch? -JJ

2 comments:

  1. I make salsa from scratch! Hate the jar/bottled kind at the store. :)

    I want to see pictures of your vanilla extract when you're finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely take pics of it for you. Check your cell phone in a minute and I'll send you what it looked like "before".

    ReplyDelete